Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pizza Rolls

Tonight I actually got to make dinner for once!
And my mom requested that I make my pizza rolls
These are kind of a hybrid of a recipe I saw on Dinner Drive-ins and Dives mixed with my deluxe pesto pizza that I created
So to make them I start off with one of those Pillsbury roll out pizza doughs
But make sure when you roll it out you don't let it get to thin or else the dough will not hold its shape when rolled and it will just fall apart
I then get started on sauteing my toppings diced bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and finally Italian sausage
When everything is cooked I let it sit and cool while I sauce my dough
I first oil the dough with some extra virgin olive oil then I spread it with a layer of pesto and tomato sauce
I then sprinkle the toppings evenly on the dough and begin to roll
(if you don't use the canned dough make sure you roll your dough in a rectangle because it helps to make more consistent rolls)
So I then rolled my dough into one big log and then I sliced it into 8 separate rolls
I then sprinkled a small sheet pan with corn meal and placed the rolls on the pan
I baked the rolls at 375 for about 20-25 minutes
And in the last few minuted I added cheese to the tops of the rolls and turned on the broiler to melt the cheese and give the rolls a little color
To serve I top the rolls with extra tomato sauce and sprinkle them with a little Italian seasoning
I love to make these because I think it is a really fun little twist on regular pizza and the process is so much like a homemade cinnamon roll its just kind of neat make a sort of savory one

No comments:

Post a Comment