Thursday, June 17, 2010

Berry Cobbler

So a few days ago my mom and I picked a bunch of wild berries that grow out in the woods by our house
Normally we just buy some of those shortcakes or angle food cake to eat with them but this year I decided to try a cobbler!
So I made a very simple cobbler that was really a combination of recipes to make it my own
So I decided to do a quick step by step for you
It was really simple and I encourage you to try it even if you don't have fresh berries this works just fine with frozen
To start simply measure out about 6 cups of berries
Then add to that 1/4 cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
If your berries are tart add more sugar and if they are juicy add a bit more cornstarch
Since my dad is diabetic I used splenda in place of sugar....Shh he doesn't know ;]
Now for the topping
I know there is a lot of dispute over which topping to make for a cobbler but my dad really likes the biscuit kind of topping so I decided to make it that way
The recipe I used for the biscuit topping is a recipe I got from one of my first 4-H projects about 7 years ago
I actually did a bake off with this recipe
They are called Jamaican buns and I just tweaked the recipe a bit to make it a better cobbler topping
So first off start with
1 3/4 cups of four
1/4 cup of sugar/splenda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
Sift and thoroughly mix
Next cut in 1 stick of COLD butter until it looks like this
The little bits of butter make the biscuits fluffy and flaky
Finally add 1 beaten egg and 1/3 cup of milk
These should also be cold
Also I add about 2 tbs of lemon juice to this mixture
I think it pairs very well with the berries and just wakes up the flavors a little bit
Lemon zest would also add a really nice flavor but I didn't have a fresh lemon to zest =[

Mix together just until moist
I wouldn't recommend a mixer for this
Just a spoon or a fork
You want to keep those bits of butter intact
Move the berries into a greased 8in pan and finally with an ice cream scoop drop 9 scoops of the dough onto the top of the berries

Before putting it in the oven I like to brush the tops with some cream and sprinkle with some sugar
This cobbler bakes at 375 for about 35 - 40 minutes
Just until the tops of the biscuits are golden brown and the center is bubbling
The finished product!
It is really just a simple rustic kind of cobbler but it really is delicious
And since I used splenda and its fruit its almost good for you lol

And of course the best and only way to really enjoy this is hot out of the oven with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment