Monday, May 17, 2010

Shrimp & Orzo Pitta Pockets

For dinner tonight I had to find something quick and easy to make so my mom could eat before she went to one of her book club things.

So I had seen this commercial for Filippo Berio olive oil were they had made garlic shrimp with orzo and I thought it looked really good so while I was are the grocery today I saw some pitta pockets and I thought it would be fun to put the shrimp and orzo in them along with some kind of side.

So to make the pittas I started my heating some olive oil in a pan on high and I grated in 3 huge cloves of garlic then I added the shrimp and seasoned with salt and pepper.

Once the shrimp were cooked I got started on the orzo.

To make the orzo I brought 3 cups of chicken broth to a boil and I added 1/2 cup of orzo to it

The orzo took about 20 minutes to cook and once it absorbed all the liquid I seasoned the orzo with salt pepper garlic and Italian seasoning.

I added the shrimp to the orzo and then filled the pockets with the shrimp orzo mixture and some spinach for a little texture.

To make the broccoli I started by blanching them until they turned bright green then I added them to the same pan I cooked the shrimp in so that they could absorb some of the garlic flavor left in the pan.
I seasoned them with some salt and pepper and just cooked them until they had a little color and they were crisp/tender.
So like the Mexican soup with the shrimp that I made a while back my mom got a bit of a attitude with me for making shrimp
but just like last time after tasting everything together she really liked it
I also think these pitta would be really good with some avocado or some chopped tomatoes but we don't usually keep those at our house because my parents aren't big fans
maybe I will just have to try and wean them on to those too

No comments:

Post a Comment