Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shepherds Pie


Tonight was another delivery dinner night so I made shepherds pie
I saw this on a show the other night were some home cooks were making meals that they remembered from their past and this one man made this which his mom use to make whenever they had leftover mashed potatoes.
Now granted its not the prettiest thing in the world but it was tasty and a real homey dinner

It was really simple to make so this is how I did it
I browned about 2 pounds of ground beef (this was for two pies mind you) when the meat was browned I removed it from the pan and drained off the grease. I sauteed some chopped onion in the same pan with the residual grease left in the pan and once they were softened I deglazed the pan with some red wine then added the meat back to the pan.
I added a lot of Worcestershire, and soy sauce to the meat along with some garlic powder and salt and pepper of course.
So while I did all of that I had the potatoes boiling for the mashed potato topping
When the meat had cooled and the potatoes were ready for mashing I added some cream and buttermilk to them and went to work mashing them up
Now comes the layering
I divided the meat into two pie pans then topped each with a can of creamed corn and some peas
Finally I topped it all off with the mashed potatoes and BUTTER =]
I baked it all for about 30min and then finished it off under the broiler to brown and crisp up the potatoes
Ok that was an intense description for something really simple but I don't care lol

No comments:

Post a Comment