Friday, July 2, 2010

Homemade Mac & Cheese


Today at summer government we had a 4th of July party
at least this time the party was relevant to the class
I mean if our founding fathers hadn't signed the Declaration of Independence then there would be no 4th of july or American summer government class
So it's justifiable lol
Well any way I made my homemade mac & cheese because we wanted real cook out kind of food
And it really was just like a family picnic
It was great
So any way I actually made this recipe up on my own and every time I make it people really seem to like it so this is how I make it

I start with a LOT of garlic

I then use my microplane to grate the garlic down to a sort of paste

I add 1 quart of heavy whipping cream to a sauce pan with the garlic and I allow it to heat and absorb all the garlic flavor

While the cream heats I grate my cheeses
I use Extra Sharp White Cheddar, Medium Cheddar, Colby Jack, and Pepper Jack

I then get my roux started by melting 1/2 stick of butter then adding 1/4 cup of flour

I let the roux cook a little to cook out the flour flavor and give it a more blond color

When the roux is ready I add the hot cream to the roux and allow it to come to a boil to that the cream sauce came thicken

Once the sauce has thickened a bit I added ALL 2 pounds of cheese to the cream sauce
And I continue to cook it a little longer until all the cheese its melted
And finally I season the sauce with salt and pepper and sometimes a pinch of cyan pepper
And just before I add my elbow noodles I add one egg to the sauce
It just helps hold it all together and keeps the cheese sauce smooth and creamy

And this is the final product!
This recipe make a TON of mac & cheese at least 3 pounds
And to my surprise and my parents disappointment I had none left after the party
I guess that's a good thing though

No comments:

Post a Comment